Friday, July 17, 2015

Lagniappe!



After despairing my lack of a proper compotier last weekend, I had a terrific find yesterday.  I shopped an estate sale and found a lovely, footed compote dish.  I was attracted to the subtle pattern, pleased by the pristine condition of the ironstone, and happy with the asking price of $8.  I noticed a mark from John Maddock & Sons, England on the bottom and I was then hooked.

When I found a few other items at the sale, I decided to negotiate the price down on the compote.  I paid $6.

When I returned home, I went online to research the printed mark.  Based on information from a website relating to North Staffordshire pottery marks, I believe that my footed compote dates anywhere from 1896 to 1906.  I cannot find the pattern in any online galleries, so the story of the dish is incomplete.  Online prices for later compote dishes from Maddock are as high as $195 for more elaborate patterns.

Last night, I started the Lane Cake for tomorrow.  It was quite an extensive process to find the right recipe.  The most important step, it would seem, is letting the filling "soak" into the cake for two or more days.

Come back here on Sunday to read about Mrs. Lane's cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment