Friday, January 1, 2016

Bitter Ending to a Year of Sweet Cakes

Over Christmas weekend, Granna had another stroke.

Unfortunately, I am not the family member who gets the emergency calls from her nursing home.  My father didn't notify me of her stroke for several days, and then it was via text message.  My father and I are not close and perhaps that is why he neglected to tell me immediately.  But honestly, this just reminds me of why I don't have a close relationship with him.

I went to visit her yesterday.  I spoke to the nurses and other care providers who explained why they were legally unable to call anyone but my father when the stroke happened.  They gave me more details about Granna's condition and her prospects for recovery.  I then sought-out Granna in the cafeteria where she was slumped in her wheelchair being spoon-fed her lunch.  She was happy to see me.  The result of this stroke is paralysis of her left side.  Her speech is slow now, and requires more concentration and effort on her part.  Her face is slightly slack in appearance and she has trouble chewing and swallowing.

She is no longer able to eat solid foods like cake.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your Granna. :( I do hope she improves. I check into your blog from time to time and I love reading baking! xo

    ReplyDelete