Monday, April 6, 2015

April 4: Coconut Cake with Lemon Filling

April 2nd was the anniversary of Papa's birthday.  I wanted to bake his favorite cake this weekend, but I also felt strongly that I needed to make our family's traditional Easter cake: Coconut Cake with Lemon Filling.  I tried to remember Papa's favorite cake and couldn't.  He was always just happy with whatever Judy or Mom decided to make.  I asked my mom if she could remember his favorite cake.  She thought for a while and then said that, if asked, Papa would have named the favorite cake of whoever was asking.
Calvin Thomas Page and Buk on her first Easter

He was always and forever looking our for everyone else, especially his girls.  He had special nicknames for my mother (Dena) and me (Buk, rhymes with "boot") that the rest of the family still uses.  Papa never raised his voice, he never made a fuss.  He worked hard, always providing for his family, but also helping anyone who was down on their luck.

Papa was an electrician.  If you have ever been to a performance at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, you have experienced his work.  The Moorish-style theatre was built in 1929 and as you sit in the audience you are surrounded by trompe l'oeil parapets, awnings, and minarets set against a desert sky.  As the house lights dim before a performance, the sun "sets" across the ceiling allowing small star  to twinkle in the night sky above you as you enjoy the show.  Papa installed those stars.  It is always difficult for me to watch a show or a movie there, because I like to watch Papa's stars instead. Visit the Fabulous Fox

So, I have chosen to bake the coconut cake that was one of Mama Judy's favorites and our Easter classic.  It is a three-layer 1-2-3-4 cake with lemon curd filling and my coconut buttercream frosting.  The key to the coconut flavor in the frosting is Coco Loco coconut cream.  Coco Loco is typically used as a base for pina coladas and can be found with the cocktail mixers at the grocery store.


While other people believe their Great-Grandfather or Grandfather hung the moon, we KNOW that our Papa hung the stars.

Happy Birthday, Papa!  Happy Easter!

Next Satruday: Feud Cake



No comments:

Post a Comment