Friday, October 30, 2015

A note about my taste-testing.

A few days ago, a friend asked me how and why I taste the gluten-full cakes that I have been baking every Saturday.  It is a good question.  I hadn't realized how strange it must seem for a gluten-intolerant cook to bake a gluten-full cake every Saturday, because for years I have been baking "normal" recipes for my friends.  When I started my Cake on Saturday endeavor, I decided to bake the recipes I chose according to their original recipes.  At the end of the year, I will start the experiments that will allow me to convert our favorite recipes of the year into gluten-free versions that I can eat.

I believe that to write honestly about each cake, I need to taste them.  So, here is more information than you ever wanted regarding my baking process...  After I take one small bite of each cake and analyze the texture and flavor, I quickly spit out the bite and rinse my mouth thoroughly.  Gluten intolerance isn't like an allergy in which mere contact with gluten triggers physical symptoms.  I can't digest gluten, so I try my best to keep gluten out of my digestive tract.  Sometimes it is a joyless job.  Sometimes it is torture to miss out on a great cake.  But, I have been very careful and haven't gotten sick from my taste testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment