Tuesday, October 20, 2015

October 17: Fresh Apple Cake


Shortly after our engagement on Valentine's day in 2006, Keith wanted us to take a trip to see his parents in Columbia, SC.  I was stressed; I was afraid I wouldn't measure up to their expectations.  I was also afraid that I would be sized-up for the way I related to my future step-children.  After we arrived, I then became anxious when a discussion of plans for our wedding elicited a show-and-tell of wedding pictures from Keith's first wedding.

Imagine my relief that weekend when Margaret suggested exploring a used book store.  Our whole family loves books and getting lost in a book store was an especially welcome diversion for me.  It was there that I found my copy of the First Lady Cookbook: 200 Years of South Carolina Cookery, 1976.  I thought a First Lady cookbook was a perfect way to commemorate our visit to Keith's home state.

The cover shows the image of the palmetto which, with a crescent moon, symbolizes the state on its flag and graces the bow tie, belt, coaster, bumper sticker, and tailgating-tumbler of EVERY South Carolina native.  South Carolinians take pride in their state and its flag.  Georgians, although very proud, don't adorn themselves or their cars with the state flag.

In addition to some delicious-looking recipes, the First Lady Cookbook contains some hilarious political references:  recipes for "Kissinger Kraut Salad," cookies called "Campaign Kisses" and a "Specialty for all Politicians, Lye Soap!"  Priceless!



This recipe for Fresh Apple Cake looked appealing with apples, cinnamon, and butterscotch morsels sprinkled on the top.  It contains both baking powder and baking soda.  The combination made for a quick rise of the cake, but the cake tasted strangely of only cinnamon and baking soda to me.  The fresh apples, although fragrant and delicious before they went into the cake, brought very little flavor to the finished product.  The butterscotch morsels that I thought would bring a caramel apple flavor to the cake, just made it too sweet.


I think this turned out to be the worst tasting cake I have made all year.  Keith and the kids think I have judged the cake too harshly, but they aren't impressed with it either.

I am thankful that I made a better impression on the Hinzes, and that Keith is a far better catch than this recipe.

Next Saturday:  Sweet Autumn Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment